About the Sunset Extension School Store
In 1962 the Sunset School of Preaching was begun in Lubbock, Texas by Cline Paden, its founding Director. Its continuing goal is to train those who preach and teach the good news about Jesus. Associated with the Churches of Christ, over 3,000 men have been trained as ministers and preachers, and more than 2,000 additional men and women have completed other disciplines at the school. In addition to those in the resident school, many more thousands have been trained in other countries to proclaim the gospel in their native cultures. In 1994 the school's name was changed to the Sunset International Bible Institute to better serve needs in foreign nations. Other disciplines and ministries of SIBI include:
- A Missions department that trains and sends missionaries to many parts of the world.
- An Adventures In Missions program training and sending young missionary interns to various pats of the world.
- A Youth and Family Ministry helping to fill the need for Youth Ministers.
- An Online School with more than 350 students studying either for audit or toward a Bible Degree.
- More than 110 Video Satellite Schools with approximately 1,200 students.
- Raising funds and sending Solar Players containing our audio curriculum to nations in Africa.
- The International Division with some 64 branch schools located in seven other nations.
A very significant work of SIBI began in 1974, an extension of the resident School of Preaching beyond its Lubbock campus. The courses of the resident School were recorded on cassette tape and arranged for correspondence study. Through the last 40+ years, thousands have enhanced their ministries by taking these courses through the Sunset External Studies Division. Sunset International Bible Institute literally became a "school without walls." Some150 students have received graduation certificates through the Sunset External Studies program, including the Sunset Online School.
New technology has moved us into the DVD era. Our SIBI courses are now on DVD, CD, and MP3 and we are constantly looking for more up-to-date technology to present the courses. These studies are formatted in 30 minute lessons making them very useful for Bible classes, home studies, devotionals, etc. One of the most exciting ways they are being used is in Video Satellite Schools in church buildings all over this nations and even in some foreign nations. Churches are using these recorded courses to train members for greater works of service.